The National Forum
The Descanso Funeral Car
Pacific Railroad Society owns the former Los Angeles Railway streetcar, Descanso, which is believed to be the only preserved funeral car in the country. The Descanso was completely restored to its 1909 splendor by Society members. The Descanso is currently on display at the Southern California Railway Museum in Perris, California.
6101 - Cajon Pass
This Dorm/Lounge was one of a large order of diners and lounges placed by the Union Pacific for 1949 delivery, and operated regularly until February 1971. The cars replaced heavyweight cars on most of the principal trains system- wide. Pacific Railroad Society purchased the car in 1972. In addition to the lounge section which seats 38, the car has a snack bar and three dormitory rooms which sleep a total of 14. The Cajon Pass is currently in Fullerton on long term lease to the Southern California Railway Plaza Association.
The GE Locomotive
The Shasta Daylight Coach
Pacific Railroad Society owns this 48-seat coach which was built with extra large picture windows for service on the Southern Pacific's new Shasta Daylight train inaugurated in 1949 for service between Oakland, CA and Portland, OR. The car was known only as 'No. 2397' until it was renamed 'Shasta Springs' by the Society. The car is currently on display at the Southern California Railway Museum in Perris, California.
5001 - Starlight Cafe
Food service cars built immediately after World War II were designed for elegant, full-service dining. But by the late 1950's, passengers clamored for a lower cost food service option and in late 1958 and early 1959, Union Pacific decided to rebuild its 5000 series diner-lounge cars into lunch counter cars. The rebuilt cars had a lounge capacity of 16, a lunch counter with seating for 8, and dining tables that seated 24. Pacific Railroad Society purchased the 5001 in 1970 and renamed it 'Starlight Cafe.' It is currently in Fullerton on long term lease to the Southern California Railway Plaza Association.
6697 - The Baggage Car
In 1959-1960, Southern Pacific Railroad received 100 streamlined baggage cars to replace its aging fleet of heavyweight baggage cars. The 6600 series had two doors on each side. Steel bars were attached to the interior of the car over the windows on the side doors.The cars were not utilized to carry passenger's baggage but were mainly utilized to carry mail and other express business. Baggage Car 6697 is used as the Pacific Railroad Society's rolling stock workshop.
Photo by Vince Cammarano